Monday, May 17, 2010

Greens - "you don't have to be southern to eat em"

Yum! Since my new vegetarian lifestyle has changed my thought process and eating habits, I have been exposed to many other wonderful foods, especially vegetables! As I was already a huge fan it has been pretty easy for me to grab something and go with it.  Last night I made Collard Greens (truth be told you don't have to be southern to eat them). I was amazed at how much I got for only $1.99 at Harris Teeter. I would of preferred them fresh from the farmers market but hey, I'm a busy girl. Anyway, I also proved last night that Collard Greens do not have to be soaked in butter and bacon fat to be delicious they are simply fantastic on their own! So, I ended up making collard greens with onions and garlic to go along with my fresh caught Alaskan Salmon (I like to think I spoil myself). Although I don't have a picture this evening, just try to imagine it. So simple and easy to make and endlessly satisfying!
Take a one or two bunches of collard greens, cut the stems off. I found that stacking the leaves and then rolling them and slicing them worked best. Then chop up some fresh onion and garlic to go with. Now I don't have measurements because I am big on cooking from the heart. Just go with your guy and estimate for how many people you are serving. Your eyes should be able to tell you what the right amount is. Bring a large pan with 1-2 tablespoons of butter (I used a vegan spread called Earth Balance, which is lower in fat and calories) or olive oil to medium heat, add garlic and saute for about a minute before throwing in the onion. Once the onion is beginning to become transparent add your chopped or sliced collard greens... Now here's the trick, do not throw them all in at once!!! They cook much better if you through in handfuls at a time and slowly allow them to cook down a little bit. Overall, cook your greens for about 10-15 minutes, they will wilt just like spinach. I wish I had a picture to post because they were delish! That my friends was my southern treat for the week, minus the fat and bacon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment