Monday, February 1, 2010

The Beginning......

Well my lovely cousin Holly always comments on my crazy cooking fiascos and suggested that I write a blog about. I love cooking and love writing...and i love love love my holly so here goes. Since I have become vegetarian I have been experimenting and learning a lot of different recipes, its been fun and exciting to say the least. I must admit that I have to been one of those people skeptical of the vegan and vegetarian lifestyle. Well Im a changed woman because I completely love it. I miss meat...but I also feel so much healthier and am honestly loosing weight. So its a win win.
Sunday was my first day of a new recipe for this blog, however I got a little busy and wasn't able to post it. So I made a new recipe that i got out of my book, The Kind Diet, which i love, called Raddicho Pizza.
I started out with a basic boli whole wheat crust(first mistake. note:next time use 100%whole grain fresh dough). I preheated the oven to about 415 degrees to initially toast the crust. While I was waiting for the oven to heat I took out my Large Head of Raddichio , washed it and cut it lengthwise into very thin strips. In a bowl i mixed my raddichio with good amount of olive oil and salt and pepper to tasted (easy on the salt). The recipe calls also for truffle oil which at the time I did not have so i left this out.



 Once the oven was preheated i put in the dough for about 5-7 minutes allowing  it to toast. I removed it and added my raddichio with some sauteed onions i had prepared during this time (again onions were an addition by me not originally in the recipe). I returned the pizza with raddichio an onions to the oven for approximately 5 minutes. It only needs to be in the oven long enough for the raddichio to wilt. Since I am not fully vegan I also added some grated parmesan to the top.  Viola! I had a yummy pizza. It turned out well however I bet with truffle oil and a better dough it will be superb! Recipe is below...


Ingredients:
Large whole wheat dough
I large Head Raddichio
Olive oil
White truffle oil
salt and pepper (fine sea salt preferred *healthier)

Preheat oven to 415. Toast crust for 7 min.
Cut raddichio in half, and into thin ribbons and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper and few dashes of truffle oil to tast.
Scatter on toasted pizza crust and return to oven for 3-5 minutes long enough for raddichio to wilt. Yum and Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment