Thursday, February 4, 2010

Quinoa -beginners luck.

So tonight I decided that I would try a to make a new dish called Quinoa. I first tried this amazing grain at the saturday market when I was shopping with my aunt. As we all known I'm a huge rice/grain fan so why not try something new. I actually looked up some basic recipes online first since i have never made Quinoa, and you buy it in bulk usually so it doesn't come with instructions. It is so simple. You use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Quinoa, bring it to a boil and then simmer about 15 minutes.

Well I enjoy flavor so heres what i put together. First I chopped up half a red onion, I prefer red to white onions. I also then chopped up a very small amount of daikon. I found out that daikon is a natural diuretic and very good for you so I have been trying to add it to different meals. I sauteed this in a pan with olive oil and added a couple cloves of grated garlic and some salt and pepper. When that was done, you can tell when the onions are becoming transparent, I added 1 cup of quinoa and browned it before adding the 2 cups water. I brought it all to a boil and then let it simmer. When it was almost done I added some parsley and thyme (one of my favorite spices) for taste.


Quinoa can be a side dish to anything or great on its on. I personally love coming up with my own dishes but there are many different ideas so I say just cook from the heart add in your favorite ingredients. I paired my dish with Amy's veggie burger and was perfectly content. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment